Don’t let the cold and snow get you down. We know that spring and summer are a sure thing, and now that it’s almost February we are just that much closer to seeing green when we look outside.
Aside from gearing up for Valentine’s Day and Easter, there’s actual things you can do for your landscape to be ready to rock once the warm weather is here.
Preen.com has some great tips for doing more than just sitting around all winter:
- Repot houseplants as they outgrow current pots. If you see roots when you look at the drainage hole in the bottom of the pot, chances are it’s time to transplant.
- Sketch garden plans, including what to grow, spacing, arrangement and number of plants needed.
- Order seeds and plants from mail order catalogs or online retailers as early as possible for best selection.
- Use your hand or a broom to gently brush away any heavy snow that may accumulate on shrubs before it freezes. Heavy snow can weigh down branches, causing them to break or become misshapen.
- Fertilize spring-flowering bulbs as they break ground. Use an all-purpose granular fertilizer according to label directions, or apply a light dusting of compost.